Sunday, August 25, 2013

Nixing Cable TV

As of this month we decided to get rid of our cable TV package with DVR.  Instead, we have chosen to try out Apple TV and bought subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu Plus.


The Apple TV device looks like this.  The corresponding remote is teeny tiny...

Seriously, we have only had this for 3 weeks and it's gotten lost half a dozen times in the couch cushions already.

This is what the "home screen" (I don't think that is the real name for it- I'm not a techie so just go with me here) looks like.

So, here is my honest opinion of our TV viewing situation now:  I don't really like it.  And my husband is not the biggest fan either.  Hopefully, it is just because we are not use to it yet- and maybe all this will grow on us.  

We didn't really save all that much money either.  We live too far from a large city to be able to pick up the 'basic' channels: ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX via antenna so we still have to pay a TV provider to supply those.  Netflix and Hulu Plus are both $7.99 per month.  And of course we have to have good internet connection to run the Apple TV.  So, all in all our savings is $17 a month.  Not really worth it to me.

PROS:
I do spend less time watching TV.  I use to just turn on E!, TLC, Bravo for background noise and I would inevitably get sucked into watching something mindless and waste a lot of my time.  I have enjoyed catching up on some past seasons of my new favorite show Bones via Netflix. (Although I have to watch it on my computer if I want to see it in HD, it's super grainy on the TV).  You can rent movies instantly via itunes over Apple TV.  Netflix has no commercials.  From what people with children have told me Netflix is awesome for cartoons.  You can still watch ESPN if you know someone with a cable subscription, they just have to be willing to give you their username and password to their cable account (this charges them no extra).

CONS:
My favorite USA shows like Suits, Covert Affairs, and White Collar, are not available to view until 30 days after they air on TV.  We really miss A&E, HGTV, Discovery, and History channels. ( I'm ashamed to admit it but I miss E! also).  My husband is not a "show" person.  I've never known him to follow a TV show other than a brief stint in college when he watched Grey's Anatomy.  So he is pretty bummed with the switch as well.  We really have not saved much money with this transition.  Of course, if we could pick up basic channels via antenna we would have saved $47 as compared to our $17.

So all in all, we are gonna give this a few more months to decide if we are gonna keep the ol' Apple TV or not.


UPDATE: OCTOBER 2013-  We went back to Cable TV and are much happier.  Apple TV and Netflix might work for some but it just was not for us.  We are paying $24 more than we were without a cable package but we are really enjoying having Cable back!

No comments:

Post a Comment